Wednesday, July 1, 2009

post #12



as this bike passed me I prayed the middle-aged bald man riding it was going to lock it up... soon... and he did.
I will be totally honest, me wanting him to lock it up had nothing to do w/ the fact that he was both bald and middle-aged, rather, the fact that his bike was covered in Fear Factor tags. I had to assume a few possibilities as to why he had this particular bike: a) there was a sample sale in SoHo and he scored big, b) after coming in 3rd place, he still refuses to let go of his runner-up to the runner-up prize, c) he was currently participating in Fear Factor, the task being... riding through Times Square w/o a helmet and going the wrong way and surviving, or d) he stole it from a delivery man. now I was a complete ass because I watched him lock it up w/ the cable and could have said, "at least loop it through a tire." but I didn't and I waited for him to walk away before snapping this shot. note to self, it is easy for swipers to swipe a hot set of wheels which are only secured down by a 5&Dime cable lock. NEXT!!!


apparently Europeans do not care to steal bikes. I came across this bike in the heart of Times Square, watched it for awhile and studied the people around it. it appeared as though it belonged to nobody in plain sight AND it was locked to the air. there sure is something special about people who lock their bikes to the air. I will give partial credit to this rider since they used a U-lock but have to wonder if it was a game of chicken... waiting for a European to either a) pose w/ the bike for a photo because it could be famous, b) trip over it or c) call the police to report "something suspicous." next time... at least lean it against the wall and maybe, just maybe, secure it to something more than just the air. NEXT!!!



construction workers in NYC also get paid to watch bikes, but they just don't realize it.
a nice set of wheels and I have to give the owner props for not only taking his saddle w/ him and then running his chain through both wheels and around a sturdy sign, but also for placing it in the middle of a construction site. nothing beats having a bunch of guys from Staten Island keep watch over a set of wheels for the day. while this might not be the fanciest of chains, it will do the job just fine. NEXT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment